LOURIZÁN FORESTRY RESEARCH CENTRE IS GOING TO CELEBRATE THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF ITS FOUNDING IN JUNE
Lourizán Forestry Research Centre, which depends on the Consellería do Medio Rural (Rural Means Council), is going to celebrate this year the 75th anniversary of its founding. For this reason, different commemorative events are being scheduled in order to pay tribute to all the staff that worked on Lourizán and, especially, to the managers that were at the forefront of the centre.
This centre was set up through the Decree of 25 February 1943 whereby a Regional Centre for Teaching Research and Forest Experiences was created in Pontevedra, published in the Official Spanish Gazette of 15 March 1943. The objective was to continue the studies after finishing the Escuela Especial de Ingenieros de Montes (Special Forest Engineers School) and to extend the activity of the Regional Centre for Teaching Research and Forest Experiences in the northwestern Spain. At that time, this region has already been considered as especially appropiate for research and development of forestry species, thanks to its humidity and temperature conditions.
As stated in the decree, the centre has to aim the promotion of forestry teaching and the carrying out of experiments and researchs with fast-growing species. This includes from the creation of masses to its use and industrialisation.
Lourizán Forestry Research Centre was integrated in the INIA (National Institute of Agricultural Research) in 1973 and it was transferred into Xunta of Galicia in 1984. The facilities are located in a property of 52 hectares in the north of the Morrazo peninsula, placed in the Ría of Pontevedra (in front of the Tambo Island and Combarro). The field is currently property of the Diputación de Pontevedra (Pontevedra County Council) and initially it belonged to Eugenio Montero Ríos, who built at the end of the nineteenth century a greenhouse and gardens with a great Art Nouveau influence.
The property also has architectural elements of previous periods, such as a granary from 1798 and a spring from 1804. In the years thereafter, new buildings for the greenhouses and for the laboratories were built. Forestry species related to the researchs were also planted. Lourizán Forestry Research Centre is currently structured in 3 departments: forest protection, forest ecosystems and silviculture and improvement. About 45 persons are working in the centre.